Is Your Church Drifting into Progressive Theology?
Guest: Alisa Childers; features of Progressive Christianity
Sponsored by: Family 210 – Buy a shirt and support the show!
Progressive theology is the new liberal creep in many evangelical churches and colleges. But what are some of the signs that your local church is drifting into these errors? We had a great discussion about it!
Segment #1: Interview with Alisa Childers
Alisa Childers is a valuable ally and friend of the ministry. We had a great conversation
about the features of Progressive Christianity and the subtle ways it may be entering
into our churches. Alisa also shared her personal story of doubt in her faith and how that journey of deconstruction led her into a solid confidence in Historic Christianity.
Alisa helped us understand the hallmark traits of Progressive Christianity:
· Faulty view of the Bible--not seeing it as the inspired, authoritative Word of God, but rather more of an “ancient spiritual travel journal”
· Atonement is seen as “cosmic child abuse”
· Redefining/downplaying sin
· Pluralistic; seeing everyone as a child of God
Alisa explained that there appears to be two approaches to the Progressive view. One is the theological approach that includes authors such as Peter Enns, Brian McLaren, Rachel Held Evans, William Paul Young, Richard Rohr, and Rob Bell. The other approach is the secularized/self-help aspect, which includes authors such as Jen Hatmaker, Rachel Hollis, and Glennon Doyle.
Segment #2: Progressive Christianity and CRT and Resources
An interesting aspect of Progressive Christianity is its connection to Critical Theory and Critical Race Theory. Krista found this discussion with Alisa Childers and Neil Shenvi to be extremely helpful:
Another resource is Krista’s teaching on Biblical Justice:
How to Answer God’s Call to Justice:
What do I do if my loved one is falling into Progressive theology?
· Ask questions! Put a “pebble in their shoe” to give them something to think about and ponder.
· Check out Greg Koukl’s book, “Tactics”
· Michael Kruger’s book, “The Ten Commandments of Progressive Christianity”
· R. Scott Smith’s book, “Authentically Emergent”
Follow Alisa’s work!
· Website: https://www.alisachilders.com/
· Podcast: https://www.alisachilders.com/podcast.html
· Socials: @alisachilders
Alisa has a book coming out this fall entitled “Another Gospel?” Click here to pre-order
Alisa was prominently featured in the documentary American Gospel: Christ Crucified.